Monday, May 5, 2014

Lazy Slow Cooker Soup

Recently I have rediscovered my slow cooker. It languishes on the uppermost shelf for moths at a time, until again I am in need of its all-day-long-tenderizing-ability. And then I think, why do I ever forget about this, again? This time is was because I was at the end of a springtime cold which had drained all my energy and we had nothing in the fridge. The only way I know how to use a slow cooker is the lazy way.



two handfuls of dry cranberry beans. 2 bay leaves, thyme, and water.
Lazy chopped carrot, celery and garlic.

2 handfuls of brown rice 

A glug of olive oil, for flavor building.
 I added a handful of red lentils, smoked paprika and my magic ingredient is pulp leftover from the juicer which I keep in the freezer for soup making. It has a bunch of fiber, and thickens soups in a really nice way. The trick to slow cooker soups is to let it go for a long time. All day while you are at work, or even overnight. 8 hours is better than 6, especially with dry beans. The rice cooks and then sort of puffs up into chewy bits which are closer to barley, its quite nice. It is quite beautiful and transformative the way everything melts together.

Lazy Slow Cooker Soup

2 handfuls dry cranberry beans
2 handfuls brown rice
1 handful red lentils
3 garlic cloves, smashed
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
good pinch of salt
2 bay leaves
a glug of olive oil
1 handful veggie pulp from juicing (optional)
4 - 6 cups Water

Put everything together and cover with water. Cook on the high or medium slow cooker heat for many many many hours, about 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, happy to hear what you think!