Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pumpkin spice has gone too far! And a real autumn treat, Apple and Maple Paleo Crisp







Fall has arrived in all seriousness, My fridge is currently home  to 5 varieties of apples. The mornings are chilly and chai sounds like a good idea again. I ate a cider doughnut, technically 3. Its official. 





If I was still not sure, say I had awakened from a lengthy Rip Van winkle sleep, I would know it was fall by the endless ads for "pumpkin spice" Or I may be confused about this "pumpkin spice" which has nothing to do with pumpkins. And everything to do with artificial flavored spice syrup.

I don't go in for this "pumpkin spice" flavor which the marketers seem to think can sell more of anything. ...Pumpkin spice is back! Pumpkin spice latte... pumpkin spice pringles... pumpkin spice coffee... marshmallows...vodka....I think I saw a pumpkin spice iPhone. Its gone too far. 

We all know by now that except for in the case of pumpkin beer, most of these things contain no pumpkin, which in real life tastes like squash. The flavor blend is a synthetic approximation of spices. If you dont believe me lookey here.

Nobody understands the pumpkin spice scented maxi pads. Im hoping those are a good internet photoshop joke, but it could not be confirmed one way or another. I think it makes a point.












This is all to say, I made an apple crisp last night, and  I used some spices. No way am I calling it a pumpkin spice apple crisp, its just spices! I hope next fall, the pumpkin trend blows over, they have ruined one of our comforts of fall, taking all the soul out of it.  



It may be a homely looking apple crisp, perhaps because it is paleo. It is certainly delicious. With allspice and nutmeg, omitting the ubiquitous cinnamon makes the dessert less than predictable. 

I left it on the counter to cool. When I had returned from dinner with a girlfriend, my husband looked at me, and said "I ate a little bit of that apple thing, its so good, too bad its not paleo." I reassured him that it was indeed. And I went to have a bite myself,  finding he had eaten about half of it. Ha, a little bit. Thankfully I took photos before. 

The sliced almonds approximate the texture of oatmeal in a typical crisp. Which is why he was fooled. 


Apple and Maple Paleo Crisp

Apples to fill a pie pan. (Mackintosh is good) peeled and chopped off the core.
Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
2.5 ounces sliced almonds
3 ounces sunflower seeds (unsalted)
pinch salt
3 Tablespoons (1 ounce) coconut oil
3 Tablespoons (3 3/4 ounces) maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice





Preheat oven to 350°. 

Peel and slice apples, place directly into the pan. Sprinkle lemon juice on top of the apples.


Mix together the sunflower seeds, almonds, salt. Work the coconut oil into the mixture so all combined. Add the maple syrup, allspice and nutmeg.




(This is what real nutmeg looks like, you can grate it on a microplane directly into your baking, its the best!) 






Give the crisp topping a good mix up. Dump it on top of the apples without any fanfare. There is no way this will ever look chic, so don't waste your time. This is a homely and delicious crisp, loved for what is on the inside, thats what counts.





Bake for 20 - 30 minutes. Spin midway to promote even toasting of the topping. The apples should have softened, with some bubbling at the edges, the topping will be toasty golden brown. Try not to burn this one, burnt nuts taste icky.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, happy to hear what you think!