Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The best duPuy Lentils ever!



Lentils are a highly underrated food, in my view. They sit in the cupboard, dull colors, easily forgotten in place of more chewy and crispy options. I have three different kinds of lentils in my pantry- pink, gray-brown (boring!), and french du Puy. The du Puy is an amazing little thing that when cooked is a dark gray-green and doesn't cook down to mush, it stays independent, and because of this makes an amazing dish either hot or as a cold salad. 
I made the best lentil dish ever, just by chance! I was out of onion, so no onion in the recipe. I put in more garlic to compensate, a lot of garlic. And I had lots of carrots, so those went in too. It was much more simple than i usually treat my lentil dishes, feeling the need to create flavor rather than let the lentils shine on their own. Even my fiancĂ©e loved them, the look in his eyes when he took a bite, "these are the best lentils ever!" I think we will be fighting over the leftovers for work lunches for the next few days!

1 cup Bobs Red Mill "petit French green Lentils" (ie: du Puy)
2.5 cups Water
8 cloves of rough chopped Garlic
2 or 3 Carrots chopped fine
2 Bay Leaf
Olive oil (a drizzle) 
salt and pepper

Heat Olive oil in a saucepan, saute the garlic and carrots until they are fragrant and have taken on a little toasted color. Add water and lentils and bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes (like you are making rice). I like to stir it a few times in there to make sure it still has water and isn't burnt! When you are done, the lentils should be tender to eat and not much liquid in the pot. If there is too much liquid, take the cover off and cook while stirring till they dry out more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, happy to hear what you think!