Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sesame Popcorn

I discovered savory homemade snack popcorn years ago. I felt that I had discovered something long hidden an unknown to modern man.(I know this was not true. But raised on Orville's bags of microwave fake butter- it was!) Now Bon appetite features recipes, and it's all fancy and more accepted.
This wacky new flavor combo for popcorn set my head spinning when I saw it online, I jumped up and ran into the kitchen to make a batch. Sweet salty and nutty an addictive snack. I was trying to save some to share but no luck there. So I washed away all the evidence and nobody was the wiser that I was a popcorn hog!
I might even quench my twice yearly Chinese food cravings, preventing a binge on mu-shu pancakes that always leaves me with a lingering stomach ache.

Sesame Popcorn

1 Tbs Toasted Sesame Oil
2 Tbs Coconut Oil
1 Tbs Coconut Sugar (you can use brown sugar or white too)
1/2 cup of Popcorn
Black Sesame Seeds
Soy Sauce (Braggs Liquid Aminos) with a spray helps !
Seaweed Nori, crumbled up or Dulse flakes


Put the oil and the sugar in a large pot with a lid, on high heat. When the sugar begins to sizzle, pour in your corn. Cover the Pot.

When the first kernel pops, throw in the sesame seeds. (I found they burnt if I put them in earlier.) Shake the covered pot occasionally until all the kernels have popped, or the space between the pops is looong...you know.  ***don't wait too long here because the caramel will get quite dark.

Pour it all out into a bowl, spritz some Bragg Soy sauce on top, and sprinkle with seaweed. Enjoy!

If you are like me, you will down it all yourself, but it would also make a different and thrifty party snack. Would be notably fun with green tea or beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, happy to hear what you think!